Acute or aching chronic pain in the hip joint (HJ) often indicates the development of diseases of the musculoskeletal system, which are important to be diagnosed and treated in a timely manner. In the early stages of the development of pathology, it will be possible to relieve pain in the joints conservatively, using special tablets and ointments. When the disease sets in, the joint becomes immobile and the constant pain syndrome worries, and surgical intervention is essential.
Possible causes and symptoms
Severe pain in the hip joint can be caused by various degenerative-dystrophic pathologies, under the influence of which the joints are destroyed, erased and completely cease to function. Periodic pain often worries in diseases of the spine, due to which there is tension in the muscles and compression of nerve fibers. Symptoms of pain in the pelvic bones occur due to injuries, bruises, fractures of the head or neck of the femur. To accurately determine the causes of hip pain, you need to go to the doctor.
Acute pain when sitting, walking or abducting the leg occurs due to bruises that occur due to a fall to the side or a direct blow to the femoral joint. With hematomas, the structure of the bone tissue remains intact, but the soft fibers suffer greatly, and damage to the ligament may occur. At the site of impact, an extensive hematoma forms, which hurts when pressed, but if the person is at rest, there is no pain syndrome. When the pain in the hip joint on the left or right side gradually increases, it is worth consulting a doctor to rule out a fracture.
Such a violation occurs under the influence of a large force along the axis, bent at the knee joint with a fixed torso. A typical situation of this condition is an accident or a fall from a great height. With dislocations, a person is worried about sharp pain in the joints that radiates to the leg and inguinal areas, which completely disrupts the functioning of the limb. You can alleviate the condition by applying cold to the affected area; in addition, qualified medical assistance is required.
It is important to keep in mind that if there is a suspicion of dislocation, trying to adjust the joint on your own is prohibited.
It often becomes the cause of pain in the hip joint in women in old age. Integrity damage usually occurs due to a fall and a strong impact of the trochanter on a hard surface. Fracture of the femoral neck is considered one of the most dangerous pathologies, as there is a high risk of complications in the form of thrombosis, infection and necrosis. Typical symptoms:
- Intense pain in the left or right hip joint, aggravated by attempts to move the limb or take it to the side.
- Sitting or lying down, the victim cannot lift the leg off the ground.
- Compared to a healthy leg, the wound looks shortened.
- If nerve structures are affected, a feeling of numbness appears in a limb.
after the operation
Very often, pain in the hip joint, lower back and back occurs after surgery associated with the installation of the implant. The need to insert an endoprosthesis appears in cases where the native joint has worn out and worn out for some reason, and it is not possible to remedy the problem in a conservative way. To prevent further joint destruction, endoprosthesis is performed. After the operation, until the wound is completely healed, the patient will be bothered by pain, however, with each new day its intensity will decrease.
Complications after hip replacement negatively affect not only the hip area, but also affect the general physical, psychological state, physical activity and walking ability. To restore former health, it is necessary to undergo a series of rehabilitation measures, which are prescribed on the basis of the pathologies and problems developed. For a quick and effective recovery, it is necessary to establish the causes of complications and limitations after hip arthroplasty.
A dangerous complication that causes pain in the hip joint. There are such types of purulent inflammation:
- Primary. The main reason is the penetration directly into the joint cavity of pathogenic microflora.
- Secondary. The infection penetrates into the joint structures with blood from other inflammatory foci.
Symptoms of an inflammatory complication are:
- musculoskeletal pain;
- edema formation;
- skin redness;
- limb dysfunction.
Often, frequent injuries to the joints lead to an inflammatory process in their bags.
This disease is often diagnosed in athletes whose knees and hip joints are prone to frequent injuries and bruises.
Under the influence of a traumatic factor, inflammation develops in the joint bags. Gradually, pathological exudate accumulates in the bursa, an inflammatory complication joins. When walking, pain in the groin and below begins to bother, giving to the knee. There is a feeling of stiffness of movements, in advanced cases, the limb hurts even at rest, the temperature rises and swelling forms.
Tumors of various etiologies
Pain in the hip joint on the right or left side can cause neoplasms:
- Benign. As they increase in size, they compress nerve structures, cause discomfort and cause periodic unpleasant symptoms in the spine and hip.
- Malignant. These are dangerous neoplasms that tend to grow quickly and spread metastases throughout the body. In the early stages, the patient complains that the joints hurt after running or walking. Enlarging, the tumor compresses the nerve structures, a leg is taken from a person, the sacrum is very painful, painful symptoms are felt in the lumbar regions. The usual painkillers in this case are not able to relieve pain in the hip joint.
- Femoral neck sarcoma. Severe cancerous disease of the bone, during the progression of which the patient's pelvic bones become very painful after sitting, walking and standing. The disease is characterized by chronic fractures of the femoral neck, due to which the functioning of the joint is significantly limited. Also worried about the signs of intoxication, under the influence of which the patient's general condition deteriorates significantly.
Due to the destruction of the cartilage in the joint, the person begins to have difficulty moving.
If a person has pain in the leg and hip joint, the following pathologies can cause these symptoms:
- Coxarthrosis. Chronic degenerative-dystrophic disease characterized by destruction of interarticular cartilage and growth of osteophytes in bone structures. In the initial stages, the symptoms are not expressed, but as the progression progresses, the functional mobility of the joint is disturbed, the patient is disturbed by excruciating pain, muscle deformities and atrophy are observed. If treatment is not started in a timely manner, the person becomes disabled.
- Osteochondrosis. Disease of a degenerative nature, in which the lumbar spine is subject to destruction and deformation. Due to inflammation and pinching of nerve fibers, the pain radiates to the thigh, the patient's motor activity is significantly reduced, discomfort worries even in a state of complete rest.
If the hip joint hurts in a child, the development of such pathologies is possible:
- dysplasia and subluxations of the hip joint;
With severe and continuous pain in the hip joint, you need to contact an orthopedist who will help establish an accurate diagnosis and prescribe an appropriate treatment regimen.
After carrying out an initial examination and collecting an anamnesis, the doctor will give guidance for the passage of such diagnostic measures:
- x-ray examination of the spine and hip joint;
- dopplerography and angiography of vessels;
- CT, MRI of thigh;
- laboratory tests that will show the presence or absence of other dangerous pathologies in the body.
What is the treatment?
Depending on the patient's diagnosis, the doctor selects an appropriate drug therapeutic regimen aimed at eliminating concomitant symptoms and alleviating the patient's general condition. During the period of conservative treatment, it is important to limit the load on the joint, if necessary, observe bed rest and use orthopedic devices. The following groups of funds are used:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Help relieve inflammation, swelling, pain.
- Painkillers. Reduce acute pain.
- Glucocorticosteroids. If NSAIDs did not help to eliminate the inflammatory complication, steroid drugs are prescribed, which are injected directly into the joint cavity.
- Muscle relaxants. Relieves muscle spasms.
- Hemostatic. Promote the resorption of bruises.
- Chondroprotectors. Restore cartilage structures, prevent their further destruction.
The "bicycle" exercise will help to avoid joint problems.
To speed up recovery and normalize the functioning of the hip joint, it is useful to regularly do therapeutic exercises. The training complex is selected by the doctor for each patient individually, taking into account the general condition and diagnosis. For prevention, it is recommended to do the following exercises daily:
- pick up small objects with your fingers;
- walk barefoot on tiptoes and heels.
In parallel, a course of physiotherapeutic procedures is prescribed, for example, electrophoresis, phonophoresis, laser therapy, massage. In the diagnosis of malignant tumors or advanced pathologies of a deforming nature, surgical intervention is essential. During the operation, the surgeon removes the affected tissue, if necessary, installs an implant. To prevent relapses and speed up recovery, rehabilitation is prescribed.